Friday, September 25, 2009

New Finish Possibilites

I continue to research and work on new glaze finishes. These three are results from recent work and out of my last kiln fire. PLEASE tell me what you think of these. Which one is your favorite? Green, Tan, Red. Thanks.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Japanese Style Tea Cups!

These are series of small Japanese Tea Cups. I produced 10 and glazed them in unique pairs. These are being shipped to Japan as a thank you gift for my Japanese makers stamp.


I seem to have been vary focused on simple color for a long time. Maybe two colors alternating from inside and out. Over the past weeks I have experimented with a using multiple glazes in combination and found an exciting combintion of 5 different glazes!

The square bowl above is glazed on the interior with this mix of glazes and my new blue green glaze on the exterior. This bowl is handbuilt with a stamped brocade texture on the outside. The square foot ring is also a new development at Northstar Pottery. The piece is porcelian and fired to Cone 6. 8" x 8" x 1.75"

The plate above is done in the same fashion as the bowl. 8.25" x 1", wheel thrown. Fired to Cone 6.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Plates Squared

I worked on improving my square plates this weekend from overall shape to the foot ring. I started by making several new wooden molds for a 10", 8" and 6" plate. The pictures here are of the 8" (plate with texture) and a bottom view of the 12". I have not worried too much about a foot ring on this shape of plate in the past, mostly because I had no experience building this detail. This weekend however, was focused on how to add a square foot ring on to these handbuilt plates. Not only to built the ring but to be able to repeat it with some consistancy. The material for the ring was extruded through a square die. I also made a square woodend die to sit atop the newly built plate while it was drying on the mold. With the foot ring die in place I wrapped the extruded length of square clay around the die. Once wrapped and trimmed to length I worked on securing it and filling edges to the surface of the plate with a very light slip that was brushed on. It's fun experimenting with what works and what doesn't work too well. I just want to see a little more of the what works well part more often. :-)