Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dinner for 6

My pottery output over the past few months has been sporadic and interrupted because of my heavy Furniture Design travel schedule, but I'm happy to report a good amount of forward progress in my craft despite the travel.

Over the past month or so I have had the opportunity to create a Dinner Service for 6 for a friend of mine and his wife. I believe these pieces represent some sort of milestone in my craft development. No longer do I seem to struggle so much at the wheel as forms come more naturally and I am also able to repeat them. The right glaze and application still seem to my biggest hurtle to push me to the next level, but I feel that I am now beginning to be able to consistently put multiple pieces out there with a good result consistently. As I do not pull my handles, but rather extrude them I have also struggled to overcome the disadvantage, but I again believe I am starting to make progress in being able to apply the handle to the form.

Below are a few pictures of my Dinner for 6 series of plates, bowls and cups. They are all made of porcelain and fired to Cone 6. I am using a combination of 3 glazes applied to each piece. I think the matte steel green blue interior is rather unique and compliments the more rustic exterior. I have tried to achieve a more wood fired appearance on the exterior using an electric kiln.

Enjoy.


Extruded Handles

Bowls, 5.5" with Steel Matte Green Interior glaze


Glaze applied to the plates by pouring on to the surface
and moving plate to spread glaze in desired way.

Dinner plates are 10" x 1.5" I like a higher lip on my plates
to help retain food more easily (espeically if you like eating in
front of the TV).
Top view of plate and bowl set stacked and nested.









1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Great work once again. Graycen has been eating his cereal out of the little bowls you made him.

    D.O.

    ReplyDelete