Saturday, June 20, 2009

New Take On Handbuilt Brocade Bowls

I am still very interested in adding these delicate textures to surfaces and this week I have been exploring a 1/2 and 1/2 idea. Half the bowl or plate is stamped with the texture leaving the other half smooth and clean in contrast. I think this takes the idea into a more contemporary feel which I'm liking.

I also made two new rounded square plaster molds to experiment with. This is an image of a small bowl and a 8" square plate using the molds. Both these pieces are using a new brocade design and the 1/2 and 1/2 design concept.

Pictured is a square bowl with steep sides. Each side has been embossed with a Brocade relief. This container was hand built and has an archaeological feel about it. The red clay green ware body helps give this vintage feel.
My green ware shelves are full so as soon as my new pieces are fully dried it's time to fire the kiln and mix glaze. I have found several new glaze reciepes I want to try.




No comments:

Post a Comment